2023 GSK Scholarships for Future Health Leaders
Three scholarships are offered to support the training and development of the next generation of leaders
in global health, and strengthen the capacity of health systems and health-related research in Africa.
These highly competitive scholarships are available to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based (face-to-face) MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).
Three scholarships are available for the 2023-24 academic year. Each scholarship will cover
- tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 19,500.00.
Eligibility for funding
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must:
- be nationals of, and resident in, countries in sub-Saharan Africa; and
- intend to return to sub-Saharan Africa on completion of their MSc year at LSHTM; and
- confirm that they would not otherwise be able to pay for the proposed programme of study by submitting the Supplementary Questions Form; and
- meet LSHTM’s minimum English language requirements; and
- hold a first degree at either a first or upper second class equivalency level, and
- hold an offer of admission for 2023-24 for one of LSHTM’s 19 London-based intensive MSc programmes of study.
Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate (in their application documentation) the potential to make significant contributions to public health and/or health-related research in Africa.
How to apply
The application process has two steps. To be considered for the funding, applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and complete both steps outlined below by the scholarship deadline of 23:59 (GMT) on Wednesday 01 March 2023.
Step 1: Submit an application for 2023-24 for a London-based MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page.
Step 2: Submit an online scholarships application, selecting this scholarship option ‘2023-24 GSK Scholarship for Future Health Leaders’ from the drop-down menu. A completed Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of this application. This is the only attachment required in Step 2 (as applicants should have already submitted references; transcripts; a CV etc with their application for study).
- Applicants are advised to complete Step 1 early to allow time for their GBP 50.00 LSHTM admissions application fee payment to be processed. Until the payment is processed applicants will be unable to submit an application for study. We would therefore recommend that applicants for this funding complete and submit their application for study at least 1-2 weeks before the scholarships deadline to ensure that there are no Admissions or payment processing delays which could impact on meeting the scholarship deadline. (Where possible, we would encourage applicants to submit a complete application for study as far in advance of the scholarship deadline as possible, to allow for timely processing.)
- Each applicant should submit only one application for GSK Scholarships for Future Health Leaders for 2023-24. We would therefore encourage applicants to check carefully their online application and attachment before submission, as the first application submitted will be the one considered and there will be no opportunity to upload the Supplementary Questions Form after submission.
- Applicants who have already submitted a completed 2023-24 London-based MSc application and/or have been made an Offer of admission should apply for the scholarship by completing just the scholarship application (Step 2 above) and submitting this by the scholarship deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding. Incomplete applications include those with missing supplementary documentation at either/both Steps 1 and 2 above. Both the application to study and the scholarship application must be complete by the scholarship deadline. Applicants should ensure that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via LSHTM’s Admissions Portal by the scholarship deadline.
- These scholarships are open to applicants for any of the 19 non-distance learning intensive Masters programmes offered by LSHTM (including our joint programmes: MSc Global Mental Health; MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing; MSc One Health; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology). Please note that for the following programmes you will be directed to the joint provider to complete your application to study as LSHTM does not administer the admissions for these courses: MSc Global Mental Health; MSc One Health: ecosystems, humans and animals; MSc Veterinary Epidemiology.
- Applicants whose application for study is successful will be asked to pay a deposit within 28 days of the offer of admission being sent. Applicants applying for scholarships at LSHTM must email the Admissions Team to advise that they are awaiting the scholarship outcome (applicants must provide the Admissions team with both the name of the scholarship and the expected decision date in this email). This must be repeated for every application for which the applicant has applied. The Admissions team will then extend the deposit deadline to match the decision deadline of the scholarship funding.
- Applicants who encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form should, in the first instance, try clearing their browser cache and ensuring that they are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix the technical issue, please contact LSHTM’s IT Services team, providing the full name of the applicant; the scholarship that is being applied for; and the technical issue that has been encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible: [email protected].
- For any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact the LSHTM Scholarships team: [email protected]
- By applying for this funding applicants agree to its Terms & Conditions.
- Please note that all applications will only be reviewed and processed after the deadline. All applications that are submitted before the deadline will be considered equally, regardless of submission date.
- Decisions will be reached, and the successful applicants notified, by 26 May 2023.