2023 Kofi Annan Global Health Leadership Program for Young Africans Kofi Annan Global Health Leadership Program supporting aspiring public health leaders from Africa to acquire advanced skills and competencies to strategize, manage and lead public health programs that will transform public health in Africa
The African Union Commission launched the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) – Kofi Annan Global Health Leadership Program on 25 May 2020 in partnership with the Kofi Annan Foundation, following its approval by the Africa CDC Board of Directors in March of 2018.
Fellows accepted into the program will be senior public health professionals from African Union member states who will contribute to and lead the implementation of a new public health order for Africa, and in turn mentor and develop the next generation of public health leaders for the continent.
- Host: African Union (AU)
- Study Abroad: Study in USA | Study in Canada | Study in UK | Study in Europe | Study in Asia | Study in Australia | Study in Africa
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Airfare Tickets |
- Deadline: January 15, 2023
The first cohort of the Fellowship program started on 7 April 2021 and consisted of a total of 20 fellows from 14 countries.
In 2022, the scholarship initiated 20 ADDITIONAL fellows from 17 countries for the second cohort SELECTED from over 3000 applications. The scholarship is now open and accepting applications for the third cohort with an application deadline of January 15, 2023, and the scholarship is scheduled to start in May 2023.
To be considered for the Scholarship, you must:
- Be citizens of an African Union Member State;
- Possess a postgraduate degree in a relevant field in public health;
- Have relevant professional experience in any field of public health, including but not limited to one health, medicine, finance, health economics, health policy, animal health, or environmental health;
- Be in full-time employment in any area of public health, in a private or public institution in Africa;
- Have a good track record or be able to demonstrate the potential for effective public health leadership where they can positively impact the public health outcomes of populations.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The aim is to support aspirational Public Health Leaders (Fellows) from Africa in acquiring advanced skills and competencies to strategize, manage and lead public health programmes that will transform public health in Africa.
- Africa CDC will provide all learning and development materials and meet all costs associated with the fellowship, including travel, daily allowance and insurance during the residential placements.
- Fellows will be supported to ensure that they have the relevant software for online learning.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- A support letter from the current employer to confirm employment, guaranteeing that the candidate will be allowed enough time to participate in the Fellowship program and to attend the full eight weeks of institutional residential experience.
- Letters of recommendation from two reputable professional referees.
- A personal statement (maximum 400 words) providing evidence of the candidate’s commitment to public health in Africa detailing the following:
- Their leadership experience and professional attainment
- Their vision of, and the future impact of effective public health leadership in Africa
- How they would champion public health initiatives in Africa
- A leadership challenge project proposal (maximum 400 words) that outlines a potential leadership challenge project they will implement. The proposal should include a title, brief description of the challenge (the what, the who is affected, and the why), a proposed strategy for a solution, and the expected outcome.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the link below.
- Successful applicants will be informed by 31st March 2023.
- The fellowship will start on 1st May 2023.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
2023 Kofi Annan Global Health Leadership Program for Young Africans