The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located at Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver, by amongst others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the short term position within the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture based in Debrezeit, Ethiopia:
Job Title: Laboratory /Animal Health Assistant
Location: Debrezeit, Ethiopia
Grade level: GSA3 Step 5
Supervisor: Senior Veterinary Vaccine Officer
Department: Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture, AU-PANVAC (Pan African Veterinary Vaccine Centre of African Union)
Contract Type: Regular (Long Duration)
Employment Fraction: Full-time
- To provide laboratory support to the FMD (Foot and Mouth Disease) Projects between PANVAC and Pirbright Institute and ensure that laboratory facilities, animal and experiments are properly taken care of.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Perform FMD vaccine quality control tests
- Participate in the implementation and monitoring of the AU-PANVAC/ Pirbright Project based on Good Laboratory Practice.
- Maintain good husbandry practices for laboratory animal management,
- Participate in the implementation safety studies for FMD vaccines quality control testing according to international standards,
- Support laboratory activities for the production of FMD biologicals and reagents of animal base,
- Assist in the preparation of Instruction manuals, Standard Operating Procedures and other technical manuals for management of laboratory animals,
- Participate in network laboratories external quality assessment and accreditation, and
- Perform any other related duties as required by the Director of PANVAC.
- Candidates must hold at least a BSC in Laboratory Science, Microbiology, Animal Science or related fields. A DVM will be a preferred advantage.
- The incumbent should have a minimum of 2 years of laboratory work experience in the field of: – Diagnostic/ research laboratory (knowledge of vaccine quality control and production would be an added advantage) – Animal husbandry – Laboratory Animal Management.
- Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (among English, French, Arabic, Portuguese and Spanish). Knowledge of one or more of the AU working languages will be an advantage.
Competencies and Skills:
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work in a team; and
- Ability to work under work pressure and deliver on time.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills
- Good communication and negotiating skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Applicants must be proficient in English or French. Advanced Knowledge of one more or several other working languages of the AU (Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish) would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of 12 (twelve) months renewable once based on availability of funds and performance.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 15,296.15 (GSA3 Step5) inclusive of all Requirements allowances for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
25th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Head, Medical Support Services
Reference Code: Medical/11/2020 / 003
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Respect for Diversity and Team Work
- Think Africa Above All
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
- Responsible for the overall supervision and management of the Division as well as the design of strategies and policies. Lead Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units.
- Manage the work of the Division and supervise direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Design strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Contribute to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
- Manage risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
- Design and plan policy programs to achieve the strategies;
- Develop new and review activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Address problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
- Engage stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represent the organisation and explain its position at conferences;
- Mobilise funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Create an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
- Supervise and manage the employees of the Division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation.
- Design strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
- Prioritize Medical programs and priorities, set the direction for Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units respectively.
- Coordinate the activities of the different Units to support the expert clinical care of MHSD clients.
- Represent the Department in all meetings related to health issues and report back on issues discussed and on action required to the immediate supervisor.
- Ensure overall management of the Division; including performance, quality assurance, staff issues and budget related matters of all units under him/ her.
- Provide substantive input into the recruitment of Division/MHSD staff as required.
- Set performance standards for self and staff, conduct performance appraisals on schedule and resolve intra unit conflicts.
- Produce and submit periodic reports on activities and specific missions.
- To participate in upgrading the AU Medical and Health Services Directorate in respect of Equipment, Diagnostic technologies and Continuous Medical Education.
- Oversee the continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff and training of Clinical Attaches and Interns within the Division.
- Participate in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
- To participate in various programs of AU Medical Services Directorate in respect to technical advice to AU Regional Offices, Organs and AU Field Missions.
- Ensures overall management of the Division; budget management, monitoring, analysis, evaluation of staff performance, grievance and progressive discipline, and fiscal needs in conformity with the relevant rules and procedures
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by his immediate supervisor.
- Candidates must have a Degree in Medicine with Master’s degree in one the following fields: Radiology, Laboratory or Pharmacy.
- Must be a Member of a professional Regional College of Pathologists, Radiologist or Pharmacologists) with Ten (10) years work experience, including 5 years as Head of Department.
- Must be licensed to practice medicine as a Specialist in Laboratory Medicine/ Radiologist/ Pharmacologist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application.
- Experience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
- Documented training in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Working knowledge in the areas of policy analysis, and program / project management;
- Experience in management, excellent ability to facilitate interpersonal relationships, the ability to organize and motivate others and work in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent ability in the drafting, reporting and presentation skills.
- Good skills in planning and organization
- Sound scientific communication abilities as evidenced by scientific /other publications.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective: Is aware of the projected directions of trends (e.g., social, technological, etc.) and how changes might impact the organization and continuously reviews and revises plan to address long-term issues and opportunities affecting the team.
- Developing others: Supports the development of the team through performance management, coaching and feedback.
- Change Management: Creates an environment that fosters change creativity in others and gains commitment for change from staff. Actively looks for opportunity in uncharted territory.
- Managing Risk: Makes and implements decisions in ambiguous/ risky situations or where information is incomplete and outcome is unknown. Takes calculated risks in pursuing new and cutting-edge ideas that will enhance a project.
- Building Relationship: Establishes a broad network of contacts that enables the individual to gather information and encourage others to establish a chain of influence and utilise the strengths and abilities of stakeholders.
- Foster Accountability Culture: Makes decisions, sets priorities or chooses goals on the basis of calculated inputs and outputs; makes explicit considerations of potential return-on investment or cost-benefit analysis of outcomes.
- Learning Orientation: Promotes and role models ongoing learning and development through establishing mechanisms to facilitate and encourage knowledge sharing in the business area. Creates relevant on-the-job learning and stretch opportunities for people in the division.
- Communicating with impact: Uses personal rather than positional power to influence and motivate others to achieve results even those over whom they have no line authority.
- Conceptual Thinking: Uses several analytical or creative techniques to break apart complex problems into component problems or issues. Draws on complex learned concepts when examining patterns or trends and recognizes underlying issues/implications of decisions or courses of action.
- Job Knowledge Sharing: Champions knowledge sharing to enable continuous learning and knowledge creation. Identifies opportunities to deliver value through improved information management.
- Drive for Result: Makes decisions, sets priorities or chooses goals on the basis of calculated inputs and outputs and analyzes for relevant departmental/ and or organizational outcomes.
- Foster Innovation: Improves performance by taking actions that may be unique, leading-edge or new to the organization/ department or directorate.
- Takes calculated risks in trying something new.
Note: The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an as-needed basis.
Least Representative Countries
- Candidates from the following least represented countries at the African Union Commission are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial, Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Saharawi Arab D.R., Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of with the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an as-needed basis.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (40% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 per annum, education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for every eligible dependent for national and locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
11th January, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above (Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
- Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview