The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Editor, Gist
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788771/49861
Contract Type: Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- Gist Nigeria is BBC Africas pioneer co-production with a dynamic team that produces stories being talked about for the social media generation.
- This role will editorially lead TV and digital news content for Nigeria and other African countries.
- As Editor you will co-ordinate, plan and guide all coverage whilst leading and motivating a team of journalists to produce high quality content and to encourage original journalism and distinctive, innovative storytelling.
- You will develop a lively and engaged social media approach to news coverage working very closely with the Languages digital teams.
- Being a key point of liaison with the best possible communication between the BBC and partners you will ensure that editorial and legal guidelines of both broadcasters are met.
- Seeking out opportunities for more efficient ways of working in a multi-platforms multilingual environment you will work with the rest of the management team to build an open, collaborative and creative culture.
Are you the right candidate?
- To excel in this role you will need to demonstrate an outstanding track record of delivering high impact, multiplatform News content for an African audience.
- You will have the ability to deliver editorial innovation and develop great digital and TV content while stimulating new thinking about news journalism.
- It will be important for you to lead, inspire and manage a great team of journalists whilst being able to demonstrate you can manage budgets and observing tight financial targets;
- As Editor you will need to have a solid understanding of top Nigerian, African and international news and how to maximize their potential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
* We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
* We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
* Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
* We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
* Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
* Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
* Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 4th October, 2020.