Canada Universities that Accepts OND, HND and 2.2 Grades for Masters Degree

If you want to come to Canada for a Masters Degree but have a low grade (like 2:2 or Second Class Lower) in your first Degree, or OND, or HND, then this is for you.

I regularly get questions from many people who heard Canadian schools do not accept 2:2 CGPA or HNDs and want to know their chances.

The first thing to know is that admission into Graduate programs (Masters/PhDs) in Canada is undoubtedly competitive. A 70-75% CGPA is the common minimum grade required. This is about 3.5/5.0 CGPA scale. Also, successful applicants and those offered entrance funding are usually those with grades higher than this minimum, and those going for a research-based program.

Some reasons for these:

There are just about 100 Universities in Canada
Not all the universities offer Masters/PhDs
Not all the universities with masters/PhDs have your own course or program
Those offering your program will have a quota of students to admit
And more students apply than the quota available
Canadian schools also typically do not accept HNDs for a Masters/PhD. You will find that the Masters Degree admission requirement is usually a 4 years B.Sc Degree. And in addition to your overall B.Sc grade, some universities will also focus on grade the last 2 years of your B.Sc Degree.

So, let me tell you some things to do to beat the odds and still study in Canada if you have a low B.Sc grade, or OND/HND.

If you are looking for an “easy” route to come to Canada to study with your OND/HND, or a 2:2 CGPA/lower B.Sc Grade, your best bet is to look for a Graduate Certificate (GC) or equivalent. In some schools, this may also be called Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) or Post Baccalaureate Diploma.

See also  Best Cheapest Universities in Canada for International Students

Graduate Certificate programs are great options for those with low undergraduate grades, or those who have ND/HND. The programs are eligible for a postgraduate work permit (PGWP) and other benefits that other international students can get. If you are coming to Canada for a Graduate Certificate program or a PGD, you can also come with your family.

If you want to go the harder route and still try your best for a Masters/PhD too, you can! It is not totally impossible.

Some people have done this in the past, but to be completely honest with you, they often have more than just grades. I will give you a summary of some things they did to complement the low grade and position themselves for the opportunity.

Some things to do:

Build a research and publications portfolio (and do your best to get a Supervisor for a research-based Masters program)
Get related work experience to show that you have related professional experience
Apply to lower-ranked schools
Write standardized tests and pass (i.e. GMAT/GRE…if it is required for your course of interest)
Prepare other Documents strongly (CV, SOP, Reference letters)
Also, some Canadian schools that i know have been considerate to accept students with low grades for Masters Degrees in the past are:

Delft in Netherlands
Royal Roads University
Bishop’s University
University of Canada West
Saint Mary’s University
University of Regina
Mount Saint Vincent University
Memorial University
Thompson Rivers University
Crandall University
University of Prince Edward Island
Canadian Mennonite University
Brandon University
Recommended: Apply for fully funded Scholarships in Canada, UK, USA, Australia and other countries

And as earlier mentioned, the students who were admitted mostly came to the admission table with more than low grades alone. So, check some of these schools, check their admission requirements, improve your profile, and see what you can do to improve your chances as well.

See also  British Council Scholarships 2022 for Women in STEM

Lastly, Graduate Certificate programs are not for those who have ND/HNDS alone, or just because of low BSc grades. They are also programs that are very practical and offer hands-on training. Because of this, even students with 2:1 (Second class upper), and First Class CGPAS can go for them if they don’t want a Masters Degree.

Graduate certificate programs are most common in Canadian Colleges. And some Canadian universities offer them too or offer them as Post Graduate Diplomas. You can search for the Colleges in Ontario here. And you can search for Colleges in other provinces on Google.

The duration of the programs can be one year or two years, depending on the program you are doing, and the school where it is offered.

And as a matter of fact, recent statistics from the Government showed that we have more international students doing College programs in Canada.

One last and important thing to note!

Importantly, as an international student it is highly recommended that you apply to an approved Designated Learning Institution, and an Institution that would make you eligible for a Post-graduation work permit if you plan to stay back and work in Canada after your study.

To apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution. A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.

To check if a school is a designated learning institution and if their programs are eligible for a Post graduation work permit, check here.

I hope you will find the post useful in some ways, and i wish you all the best in your application!

See also  4 Best Affordable Places To Study Abroad In Europe



  1. Federal and State Government Recruitment

  2. Oil and Gas Jobs

  3. Banking and Finance Jobs

  4. International NGOs Recruitment

  5. Teaching Jobs

  6. Federal and State University Jobs

  7. Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs

  8. Customer Service Jobs

Tired of applying for many job offers and not getting interviews?

We have the solution you are looking for!

Getting your dream job starts with a lot of personal branding and our CV writing experts will help your CV gain clarity and turn your career journey into a professional story by using words – ATS keys specific to your sector that will communicate your skills and experience. And the ability to employers in a unique and professional way, which earns you more job interviews.

Most of our clients testified of getting up to 3 interviews in a week after renewing our professional resume and using our creative cover letter and LinkedIn profile improvement services.

We offer:
* Creative and Professional CV Services
* Creative services and cover letter
* Professional profile improvement services on LinkedIn.

You can purchase any of these services by clicking on the link below

Send an email to

We are 100% more than hype.


MUST READ: How to Write Your Own Professional CV (Curriculum Vitae)



  1. Scholarship In America

  2. Scholarship in UK

  3. Scholarship in Europe

  4. Scholarship in Australia

  5. Fully Funded scholarships and Grants


You May Also Like