Jumia is Africa’s leading internet group, with already over 3,000 employees in more than 20 African countries and huge successes such as Jumia, Jumia Travel, Jumia Food, Jumia Deals, Jumia House, Jumia Jobs and Jumia Services. It is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by MTN, Millicom, Rocket Internet, Axa, Orange, Goldman Sachs & CdC.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Lead, Institutional Affairs
Job Type: Full Time
- Institutional Affairs is responsible for developing and managing the Non-market strategy in each country. Similar to market strategies, ultimately the Country CEO is accountable for the development and execution of both market and nonmarket strategy in each country.
- The non-market strategy recognizes that our company is perceived externally as a social and political being not just an economic entity. Because we create and distribute value, a plethora of actors seek to influence us formally, through laws and regulation, and informally, through social pressure, activism and efforts to shape the public perception of our business.
- This role thus exists to engage with our nonmarket environment, helping shape the rules of the game in our favour and reducing the risk of being hemmed in by external actors.
- The Country IA Lead is responsible for identifying potential issues that could impact us from the actions of various interest groups in our environment, and developing and executing a playbook to successfully address the issues.
- Have a deep understanding of Jumia’s business model and the external parties that our business interfaces with.
- Understand the socio-cultural and political landscape of the country and the possible issues/pressure points that could emerge or that have already emerged and how they could impact the business.
- Frame the issues and quantify the “social risk” of these issues (Probability of occurrence X Impact) so that the business can allocate resources effectively to risk mitigation
- Recognize that every issue exists in a complex market and nonmarket environment and there could sometimes be market responses to a nonmarket issue and vice versa
- Use the IA3 Framework in developing an effective playbook for mitigating/managing or eliminating all the issues
- Work collaboratively with internal functional leads as well as external parties (consultants, competitors, regulators, industry groups, media, PR agencies, social activists) as needed in executing the issue playbooks to Jumia’s advantage.
- Understand the life cycle stage of each issue and the best approach to adopt in addressing the issue
- Utilize the Market/Nonmarket 2 by 2 matrix to determine/uncover the full scope of potential responses to issues
Skills and Attributes
- This role requires a generalist with solid business and managerial experience plus access to local business and socio-political networks at fairly senior levels.
- A significant amount of advocacy and policy development work is needed so the candidate needs to bring structured thinking and argumentation, the ability to establish personal credibility with C-level and senior public sector players, influencing skills as well as very good oral and written communication skills.
- Some experience in corporate strategy development will be an advantage
- Typically the right candidate would have gained their business experience in a functional area but no specific functional specialist experience is preferred over another.
- Number of high impact nonmarket risks identified and neutralized/ mitigated or being actively managed
- Number of nonmarket opportunities identified and used to Jumia advantage
- Number of nonmarket opportunities not utilized/missed
- Number of nonmarket risks not identified and not managed that resulted in high impact on the business.
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team working around the world
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Deroundtable.com is a job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants. Deroundtable.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant secure a job, loan, grant or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Deroundtable admins will never call any applicant requesting for payment of my kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are absolutely free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters