The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Manager, Breeding
Ref. No: DDG-R4D/DM/B/12/20
Recruitment Type: 3-year contract
- IITA seeks a highly-motivated Data Manager with significant experience in working with crop improvement programs.
- This position will report to the Head of Breeding, IITA and will also regularly review progress with staff of the Excellence in Breeding platform.
- Work with IITA plant breeders and the Excellence in Breeding (EiB) platform in the modernisation of breeding programmes for enhanced genetic gain, particularly with respect to the deployment and adoption of breeding data management systems and digitization tools.
- Help in the development and implementation of a strategic plan for adoption of software, digitization and standardized protocols for IITA, West Africa and key national partners.
- Contribute to developing and reporting relevant performance metrics / KPIs for adoption of the breeding systems at IITA together with EiB.
- Continuously improve the adoption of software tools and processes, to identify gaps to adoption and work with breeding programs and Excellence in Breeding to resolve gaps.
- Contribute to improvement plans for individual crops and to institutional arrangements in support of plant breeding.
- Coordinate curation for maize and other crop breeding data to enable adoption of EBS.
- Liaise with Biometrics and IT teams for specific user requirements and support.
- Coordinate the standardisation of phenotypic, genotypic, genealogy data, protocols and relevant metadata.
- Perform other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should have M.Sc. in Information Systems, Data Science, Plant Breeding or related quantitative area of science (PhD preferable).
- Significant experience (5 years) working as part of crop improvement teams in the public or private sector.
- Experience in Continuous Improvement projects.
- Experience with Project Management.
- Ability to influence colleagues outside of a formal management structure/in a matrixed organisation.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Some knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Ability to work well across disciplines and in a multicultural environment.
- Considerable experience of using and developing modern informatics tools for plant breeding.
- Considerable experience in managing data from high throughput technologies used in plant breeding (molecular and phenotyping).
- Experience of the implementation of relevant software solutions.
IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter which should address how their background / experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, Names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his / her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Click here for more information (PDF)
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 14th January, 2021