The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Electrical Maintenance Worker
Announcement Number: Lagos-2020-063
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 1210 6
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-6
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 8. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C. All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Working in the Facility Management section of the Consulate, the incumbent carries out scheduled and unscheduled electrical preventive maintenance and repair work to all mission buildings and facilities including residential owned and leased properties.
- Repairs malfunctioning electrical systems and ensures that all takes are completed in accordance with application codes and manufacture’s recommendations.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Education Requirements: Completion of Secondary School or received high school diploma
- Experience: Minimum of three years of experience in the repair and maintenance of electrical systems, equipment and components experience as an electrical apprentice of installer is required.
- Electrical testing procedures in circuitry and control devices to monitor, diagnose faults, determine continuity.
- Insulation resistance, impedance and capacity levels, all in accordance.
- Reading and working from engineering drawings, specifications, electrical schematics, control circuits and material list.
- Job Knowledge: Maintenance and repair of power and lighting circuits associated with switchboards and control gear in single-phase and polyphase systems is required.
- Minor component replacement and repairs of motors, generators, controls, and recording instruments.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Language: Limited knowledge Reading/Writing/Speaking English.
Skills And Abilities
- Communication and interpersonal skills to answer queries from end-users.
- Ability to work as a part of team, work under pressure and a tight schedule.
- A flexible approach to work shifts and answer emergency calls at all hours.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Equal Employment Opportunity (Eeo):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary Certificate
- Driver’s License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section 09-461-4000 HRNigeria@state.gov
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 12th January, 2021