Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infection, Prevention & Control (IPC) Supervisor
Location: Anka, Zamfara
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- The Infection, Prevention and Control Supervisor is responsible for implementing and supervising an infection control program in the Zamfara Secondary Health Care Project and all our health facilities, according to MSF protocols, safety and IPC measures, in order to ensure quality of care and safety of patients, caretakers and staff.
- This is a new role in the Zamfara Project and we are seeking suitable candidates with a nursing background and with experience in an Infection, Prevention and Control role (or similar).
Description of the Responsibilities/ Activities
- The IPC Supervisor in Zamfara Project is the main responsible for the implementation of all IPC related activities, protocols and different recommendations to ensure quality of care and patient safety in MSF health facilities including Anka General Hospital and NEP IDP clinic. The IPC Supervisor works closely with all multidisciplinary team members to raise awareness and ensure IPC issues are identified and addressed by all staff members.
- As a member of the Infection Control Committee, participating in and supporting the development and follow up of the Infection Control Action Plan and other communication activities are key (may support MTL with minutes/agenda/action points, also may chair the meeting in absence of MTL).
Liaison with all Managers/Supervisors and Balanced Leadership and Communication Skills:
- Liaises with Watsan Supervisor, the main hierarchical manager, to provide technical support to Hospital Cleaners in AGH and IDP Camp Clinic (Hygiene Agents) and ensure cleanliness of wards (based on IPC requirements) and hospital yard.
- In conjunction with Watsan and Head of Cooks ensure IPC measures in the Kitchen are adhered to and maintained.
- Liaise with the Watsan Supervisor to ensure vector control in the hospital wards and other departments (use of light insecticide etc.) and dead body management in the ward while waiting for evacuation.
- In conjunction with Watsan Supervisor and Nursing Team Supervisor ensure waste segregation and collection in different wards and keep high hygiene standard.
- Liaise with Watsan Supervisor to directly provide technical support to the Laundry and ensure quality of bed sheets and linens are in enough quantity to maintain adequate recycling.
- In collaboration with Watsan team, ensure maintenance of a clean and hygienic environment
- In conjunction with Supervisors/Managers, carry out training of all staff (Medical, Lab, Hygiene Agents, Watchmen etc.) on relevant IPC information – IPC Pillars and aseptic technique.
- Under leadership of Nursing Activity Manager and Pharmacy Supervisor ensure ordering, storage and management of IPC materials (hand sanitizers, surfanios and hexanios, chloramine solutions, face masks, disposable gowns etc.) for daily usage.
Supervision & Policy /Protocol Implementation:
- Policy management of IPC activities in all locations and work in conjunction with all heads of departments to ensure and supervise implementation of IPC policy and protocols.
- Supervises directly the Sterilization Technician and ensure small surgical materials are safe for patients, sterilization procedures follow IPC protocols, and provide necessary training.
- Ensure compliance of the 3 IPC pillars (Hand hygiene, Cleaning and Disinfection, transmission-based precaution) in MSF health facilities including Anka General Hospital and IDP Clinic.
- Be responsible for monitoring of hand hygiene compliance using the hand hygiene observation tool (HHOT) and monthly updating of results
- Carry out SIPCA assessment with support from line manager
- Report IPC activities in the MMR.
- Gap fill Watsan Supervisor /Manager in case of absence
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
- Nurse diploma / degree required.
- Minimum 1-year experience as Infection, Prevention & Control Supervisor (or similar) required
- Minimum 1-year experience in OT or Intensive Care Unit required
- Experience coaching, mentoring, supervision and training required
- Experience with MSF or other NGO required
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and knowledge of Hausa desirable
- Computer literacy in word, excel, internet
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 11th January, 2021