Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Job Requisition ID: R73643
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria
Job type: Full time
Job Family Group: Legal Jobs
Worker Type: Regular
Business unit: Legal
Experience Level: Experienced Professionals
- If you are a strategic thinker with significant experience in managing and resolving complex disputes, then this could be your chance to leverage business insights and dispute resolution skills to enable Shell’s strategy and purpose.
- You will play a role in transforming Shell Legal into a simpler, agile and more affordable function.
Where you fit in
- As Legal Counsel in the Global Litigation – Sub-Saharan Africa organisation, located in Port Harcourt, Nigeria you will report to the Team Lead – Environmental Litigation, Nigeria.
- You will be a key member of the Nigerian Litigation accountable for managing disputes in litigation, arbitration and other adversarial proceedings including handling regulatory challenges for Shell companies in Nigeria.
- Matters cover an extraordinary range of cases of key importance to Shell businesses, including some highly specialized, complex cases of significant strategic, financial and reputational importance.
- The role has a particular focus on matters arising under Nigerian law, but given the breadth of the geographic region which the team supports, you will also handle disputes arising under or being conducted in other legal systems.
- You must therefore have excellent legal and strategic judgement coupled with strong business partnering, communication and stakeholder management skills.
- You must collaborate with senior stakeholders across multiple business and organizational lines to handle matters so as to further business objectives and protect shareholder interests.
What’s the Role?
As Legal Counsel you will provide proactive guidance to the businesses supported, seek out and propose appropriate solutions to disputes and litigation and co-ordinate input from multiple business, legal and other functional stakeholders to deliver business strategy. More specifically your role will include:
- Identifying critical legal issues and strategic business options based on complex and ambiguous data.
- Developing a case management plan for each assigned matter.
- Providing strategic advice on litigation and arbitration procedure and tactics.
- Collaborating with and influencing senior internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds, with ability to adapt style and communication technique for different stakeholders.
- Drawing the attention of management to legal implications of rulings, decisions and case resolutions in a proactive, timely and business-oriented manner.
- Ensuring significant litigation risks are reported within the Group Control framework, including maintaining matters on the Group-wide matter management database and recommending legal contingencies and provisioning relating to litigation matters.
- Engaging and managing external counsel, including the negotiation and execution of non-hours based alternative fee arrangements (AFAs).
- Adopting a learner mindset to maximise our performance, live our values, grow trust in Shell, inspire and engage.
- Drafting and reviewing pleadings and other court papers, collating evidential materials, preparing witnesses and attending court proceeding.
- Seeking challenge and setting stretch targets for own performance and supporting and developing less experienced lawyers and support staff.
- Encouraging and contributing to a team culture of strong performance, collaboration and an enterprise first mentality.
- Driving and promoting Shell’s international arbitration network and developing Shell or industry positions on significant legal issues.
- Monitoring and highlighting significant legal developments.
- Espousing Shell’s Business Principles and being committed to continuous improvement.
What We Need From You?
In order to enable Shell’s strategy by resolving complex disputes you will require significant prior experience of managing high-value oil & gas disputes, including drafting pleadings (desirable) and court appearance in the superior courts of record in Nigeria. Furthermore, you will have:
- A Certificate of Call to Bar as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria for a minimum period of 5 years and significant experience in private practice.
- A Degree in Law (LL.B Hons.) from a Nigerian University .
- Experience in disputes involving sovereign states or state-owned entities (desirable).
- A well-developed external network within the disputes community in Nigeria.
- Mastery of evidential and court procedural rules in Nigeria
- Learner mindset and ability to work with minimum supervision
- Significant experience leading, project managing and/or acting as integrator in a team.
- Superb interpersonal skills and ability to work seamlessly with a diverse range of business clients and internal and external stakeholders.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Are you tired of applying for lots of job openings and not getting interviews?
We have the solution you seek!
Getting your dream job begins with a lot of personal branding and our CV writing experts will help your resume/ Cv gain clarity and turn your career journey into a professional story with the use of specific ATS keywords for your industry that will communicate your skills, expertise and ability to employers in a unique and professional manner, winning you more job interviews.
Most of our clients have attested to getting up to 3 interviews in a week after our professional CV revamp, and the use of our creative cover letter and LinkedIn profile optimization services.
* Creative and Professional CV services
* Creative and cover letter services
* Professional LinkedIn profile optimization services.
You can purchase any of these services when you click on the link below
Send a mail to email@example.com
We are 100% more than the hype.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
RECOMMENDED SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Local and International Scholarships Federal, State and Private Organizations Recruitments: See Below
Jobs You May Like
Massive Employment at Enugu State Corporation – Click Here to Apply
Kwara State Civil Service Commission Job Recruitment – Click Here to Apply
Ongoing Recruitment at Uniterm Nigeria Limited – Click Here to Apply
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
- They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed.
- We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
- Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
- We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
- Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Deroundtable.com is a job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants.
Deroundtable.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant secure a job, loan, grant or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Deroundtable admins will never call any applicant requesting for payment of my kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are absolutely free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters
What is a cover letter?
A cover letter is a one-page document that you submit with your resume to express your interest in a job opening. The purpose of a cover letter is to introduce yourself to an employer and provide a brief overview of your work history, professional skills, and an explanation why you’re the best fit for that job.
While your resume focuses on your qualifications and achievements, your cover letter expands on those achievements, showcases your personality, and explains why you’d be a good fit for the company.
How to write a cover letter that gets you the job
Here’s how to make a great cover letter for a job application:
1. List your contact information (and the employer’s details)
Underneath your name in your cover letter header, list the following contact details:
- First and last name
- Email address (something professional, usually including your name)
- Phone number
- Mailing address (optional)
- Linkedin profile link (optional)
- Portfolio or website (optional)
After your header, include the date and following company contact information:
- First and last name of the person you’re writing to, or the relevant department
- Company address
- Company phone number
- Hiring manager’s email address
2. Address the hiring manager (ideally by their name)
Next, address your cover letter to the hiring manager by name if possible. A standard cover letter salutation includes the hiring manager’s first and last name, and begins with a “Mr.”, “Ms.”, or another relevant professional title.
3. Write an attention-getting opening paragraph
Start your cover letter with an informative, direct introduction by including the following details in the first one or two sentences:
- Job position: The title of the advertised position
- Company name: The name of the company you’re applying to
- How you discovered the opening: Whether you saw the job on LinkedIn, a job board, or were recommended to apply by a friend
- Intention to apply: An enthusiastic announcement that you’re applying for the open role and why you’re interested in or qualified for it
- Notable accomplishments: If you have relevant work experience, highlight one or two of your most notable achievements in your introduction to immediately grab the employer’s attention