United Nations Recruitment for an Administrative Assistant
The United Nations is the one international organization with the reach and vision capable of solving global problems. The United Nations Foundation links the UN’s work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women’s empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant G6
Job Opening Number: 21-Administration-RCS-167603-R-Abuja (X)
Department / Office: Resident Coordinator System
Staffing Exercise: N/A
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resources Management:
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of consultants, placement, ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Responds to enquiries and provides information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements. Reviews and processes personnel actions through Umoja.
- Monitors staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
Budget and Finance:
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants, LMRs and procurement.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
- Prepares or customizes financial reports from Umoja system generated reports.
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Maintains office filing system in accordance with established systems including inventory of files;
- May be responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Acts as a focal point for Umoja requisitioner and petty cash custodian for the Country Office
- May be responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Provide support to office operations by coordinating and monitoring relevant business processes, procedures and activities, especially paying attention to detail and adhering to deadlines
- Provide support to the Operations Management Team (OMT) in the formulation and implementation of UNCT decisions in respect to Business Operations Strategy (BoS), Common Premises and Common Back Office.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating incoming missions, seminars, conferences and translations).
Contract Administration / Procurement:
- Provides operational coordination and administrative services in Umoja, to support procurement projects and activities, following standard processes; raise requests for goods, services, and hiring of consultants/individual contractors
- Inspects and receipts goods/services received against the purchase order, invoices provided by the contractor and perform asset management activities
- Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments upon satisfactory receipt and performance
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
- Reviews and prepares requirements and scope of work and specifications of goods and services and necessary documentations in consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Coordinates with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for goods and services
- Maintains internal files and relevant documentations for procurement activities
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is required.
- Work experience with an Enterprise Resources Planning system, such as Umoja or similar, is desirable.
- Work experience with the United Nations or similar international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
- “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of equals a rating of’ confident” in two of the four areas.
- Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc.
- Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. ·
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Commitment To Continious Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
- Appointment against this post is on a local basis and is open for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension subject to legislative body funding availability.
- This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules.
- All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country.
- A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
- The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 17th November 2021.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed.
We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Deroundtable.com is a job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants.
Deroundtable.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant secure a job, loan, grant or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Deroundtable admins will never call any applicant requesting for payment of my kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are absolutely free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters
Are you tired of applying for lots of job openings and not getting interviews?
We have the solution you seek!
Getting your dream job begins with a lot of personal branding and our CV writing experts will help your resume/ Cv gain clarity and turn your career journey into a professional story with the use of specific ATS keywords for your industry that will communicate your skills, expertise and ability to employers in a unique and professional manner, winning you more job interviews.
Most of our clients have attested to getting up to 3 interviews in a week after our professional CV revamp, and the use of our creative cover letter and LinkedIn profile optimization services.
* Creative and Professional CV services
* Creative and cover letter services
* Professional LinkedIn profile optimization services.
You can purchase any of these services when you click on the link below
Send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are 100% more than the hype.😊