The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: News Editor, BBC Yoruba
Job Reference: BBC / TP / 623869 / 52937
Contract Type: Permanent
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- BBC Yoruba is part of the British Broadcasting Corporation, the world’s largest public broadcaster. In Africa, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of more than 90 million people on Radio, TV, Digital, Mobile and Social Media. We currently broadcast to Africa in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Pidgin, Hausa, French, Somali, Swahili, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili and Arabic.
- BBC Yoruba produces a wide range of audio (BBC minute) and digital content with an emphasis on local, regional and international current affairs. Our coverage includes breaking news, sports, arts, health, business and features. We challenge decision makers to discuss the issues that affect the daily lives of Africans.
- The BBC is looking for an excellent senior journalist to be the Editor of the Yoruba Language Service to deliver a range of digital, audio and video content.
- Responsible for managing a small team of Journalists, with editorial responsibility for a small programme or service.
- Able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing, programme budgets and resource requirements.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- Maintains personal effectiveness in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with demanding situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and passion.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- Typically directly manages a group of Senior Journalists and/or a small number of Assistant Editors.
- Typically responsible for team size under 40 people.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Develop and maintain high professional standards of journalism, ensuring delivery of high quality and impactful news programmes.
- Establish the content and running order of the programme and lead others on the production of items through to transmission, including assigning, briefing and establishing priorities for operational and editorial teams.
- Assist in the development, commissioning and management of relevant business plans and manage individual programme budgets, ensuring value for money in use of resources.
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and distributing best practices between teams.
- Foster an environment of productive employee relations, responding to and anticipating challenges from staff, unions and audiences.
- Responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s health and safety regulations, including completing hazard assessments.
- Continue the development of programmes across social media and digital platforms, including growing audiences on these platforms.
- Responsible for building team spirit within permanent or temporary teams; ensuring the bestMuse of individual skills. Encouraging team members to think about potential improvements.
- Sets team and individual objectives, as well as clear expectations about required performance levels, rewards success and addresses performance issues promptly and fairly, treats team members with respect.
- Seek ways to increase diversity in our workforce and to ensure that our output reflects the audiences we serve.
- You will report to the Head of West African Languages and also work closely with other senior editorial figures in BBC World Service.
- As the Editor, you will provide creative leadership and vision, to maximise the Yoruba Language Service’s impact and potential in Nigeria, taking into account the changing media conditions in the target area. You will approve content, ensuring that BBC editorial guidelines are adhered to consistently.
- Fluent in Yoruba and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering output on media platforms. An excellent knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential. You will have recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
- A good appreciation of the media situation in Nigeria and the wider target area, and how it is developing with the ability to anticipate changes in the market is essential. Experience of managing budgets is required.
- You must have existing right to work in Nigeria.
- You will manage teams and resources, taking responsibility for ensuring that all output is delivered creatively and on schedule. The successful candidate will have substantial experience in a senior journalistic role within a media environment.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
- Either a professional journalist or a senior operational professional with extensive digital and editorial experience of broadcast news and the ability to develop and implement new and innovative approaches to programme structure and content.
- Proven editorial judgement, able to make sound decisions promptly .
- A detailed understanding of digital newsgathering and production. An ability to use new technologies to create opportunities to enhance output and improve working practices.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Can identify a concept along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Yoruba and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- A demonstrable experience in working in a multimedia environment and engaging audiences.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Nigerian, African and international current affairs.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style is desirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC editorial guidelines and to abide by BBC Values.
- A thorough knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News.
- An ability to lead, inspire and manage a team is essential.
- Ability to grow digital and social media audiences.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology and adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to a young audience.
- Continuing contract
- Local terms and conditions apply.
- Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th April, 2021
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Deroundtable.com is a job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants. Deroundtable.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant secure a job, loan, grant or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Deroundtable admins will never call any applicant requesting for payment of my kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are absolutely free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters