Maersk is an integrated container logistics company working to connect and simplify its customer’s supply chains. As the global leader in shipping services, the company operates in 130 countries and employs roughly 70,000 people. With simple end-to-end offering of products and digital services, seamless customer engagement and a superior end-to-end delivery network, Maersk enables its customers to trade and grow by transporting goods anywhere – all over the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Port Captain for Nigeria
Department: Shipping Operations
- We are looking for an enthusiastic Port Captain with extensive experience in Operations to join our Africa Liner Operations Cluster. The role will be based in Lagos and established as part of the insourcing of the entire Africa Marine activities into the Africa LOC. The Port Captain has a direct reporting line to the General Manager – Head of Husbanding.
- You will be expected to ensure physical presence on the location of operations and to maintain relations with the terminals and ports in order to achieve high performance on Maersk Line vessels.
- The Port Captain is to ensure the execution of operations as approved by the Marine Division in Cape Town and requires consistent coordination with various internal stakeholders, to ensure sustainability of performances (close relationship with the commercial organization in the specific port).
You will be expected to:
- Lead your team, providing coaching, training and improving their execution processes
- Drive and improve port productivity and reduce vessel port stay by aligning with the marine berth and schedule teams in Cape Town
- Constant analysis of operational execution for the onsite location followed by reviews and improvement plans to report to the Marine Division
- Ensure your team is fully equipped with operational and safety tool to execute the operations
- Drive the communication behavior persistently so the team is constantly aligned with the 24hr teams in Cape Town
- Support the AFRLOC and the local organization make well informed choices between commercial upsides and operational exposures
- Ensure the Terminal, Port Authorities and Stevedore execute the plans of the AFRLOC for each vessel
- Engage with Vessel masters, collect feedback and assist them whenever required.
- In locations where husbanding services are outsourced, Port Captain should constantly monitor Agent’s performance.
- Monitor compliance to Maersk Line operation standards, spot improvement areas and immediately initiate action to resolve them while making sure relevant stakeholders are involved
- Identify and address operational issues in your location and share the best practices with your peers in Africa
- Build and maintain good and strong relationships with both Internal and External stakeholders while continuously engaging with them to protect Maersk Line’s operational interests
- Execute through your teams on the agreed capacity and marine as well as others projects of the Africa LOC while maintaining constant feedback to ensure alignment
- You will be the Commercial link between Ocean Execution and Area Teams.
We are looking for:
We are looking for a driven individual with the following:
- A Degree in any Business related course
- At least 10 years working experience in Operational roles (ideally in container terminals, local operations and / or stowage coordination)
- Collaborative with sharp communication skills – both written and verbal
- Capable of successfully coping in a highly pressurized environment
- Excellent Leadership qualities as well as relationship management skills- both within one’s own working environment and externally
- Able to demonstrate initiative and work independently towards success
- Resilient in order to implement outstanding solutions
- Project and Change management experience
- Knowledge of continuous improvement process would be an advantage
- Analytical – able to understand and process available information received from multiple sources thereby enabling effective decision-making
- Detail orientated able to understand logical process flows
- We offer a position in a challenging and ever-changing environment in which you will sharpen your industry knowledge as well as your communication skills and techniques relevant to the Operations.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 27th December, 2020.