The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Monitoring & Evaluation)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2020-048
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE – 0550 11
Promotion Potential: LE-11
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification: For USEFM – FP is 4. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and / or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses: No
- Reimbursed: 50% or less
- Travel Required: Job holder will be expected to travel to visit implementing partners’ offices and/or project sites to monitor progress of activities and to provide onsite technical assistance to CDC partners.
- This position, under the supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Team Lead, will provide technical expertise to improve HIV / AIDS prevention programs of CDC Nigeria and the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- The incumbent will serve as a leader for evaluating progress in program implementation of HIV / AIDS prevention activities conducted by CDC Nigeria and the FMOH by applying both theoretical and practical knowledge of health education, social and behavioral science, evaluation strategies, and evaluation research methodology to the design and conduct of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities.
- Incumbent will develop appropriate data management systems to monitor health objectives and indicators for HIV / AIDS prevention programs.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- At least six years experience with infectious disease prevention or treatment programs at the local, state or international levels that entailed responsibility for the evaluation of program activities is required.
- The incumbent must have experience in use of measurement methods required for M&E of international populations and health programs, including quantitative and qualitative research.
- Knowledge of program evaluation strategies and techniques as well as infectious disease prevention activities is required.
- Additionally, the incumbent must possess expert knowledge of the application of program management and the translation of evaluation data as it pertains to the improvement of program operations, guidelines, and policies.
- Incumbent must be familiar with the health care system of Nigeria. Incumbent must possess knowledge and understanding of the principles of organizational management and be familiar with the work of USAID and CDC.
- Good working knowledge of overall administrative requirements, budgeting and fiscal management in support of cooperative agreements / grants is required.
- MBBS (MD) or Masters degree in one of the following disciplines: Public Health; Epidemiology; Computer Science, Behavioral Sciences, or Applied Mathematics is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency in Speaking / Writing / Reading English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong skill in providing leadership, direction, and technical expertise in the monitoring and evaluation of public health programs is required. This includes the ability to resolve independently problems related to supervision of personnel, program policy, and program operations.
- The incumbent must be able to exercise considerable ingenuity in applying guidelines to unique and different settings; as the work is highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholders.
- As a program M&E representative for CDC Nigeria / PEPFAR, the incumbent must be able to exercise considerable innovation during his / her attempts to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV / AIDS prevention programs to adopt appropriate M&E strategies for their program activities.
- Considerable innovation is be required to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV / AIDS M&E programs to adopt appropriate strategies for their program activities. Intermediate user level of word processing, spreadsheets and databases is required.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with national and international working partners and to prepare required written reports.
- Ability to lead project teams and workgroups and to develop effective working relationships with national and international working partners is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
NGN 15,890,203 – USD $41,273.25 annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and / or Work Permit (If applicable)
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Certificate or License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
- We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
- Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
- Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 21st October, 2020.