The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stress Counsellor
Job ID: 33066
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – STRESS MANAGEMENT
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the administrative supervision of the Chief Security Adviser for Nigeria and the technical guidance of the CISMU Regional Stress Counsellor, the appointed Stress Counsellor will administrate a wide range of stress management activities, actively participating in emergency preparedness in the country in collaboration with UNDSS and the UN emergency coordination group as per the UNDSS CISMU standard operational procedures on critical incident stress.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main role of the National Stress Counsellor will be:
- To build a sustainable stress management system in the UN Offices operating in the country;
- To improve critical incident stress management preparedness of the UN security management system (UNSMS) in case of emergencies. This is applicable to the current COVID 19 crisis that is considered as a protracted health emergency that has complex psychosocial repercussions for UN personnel in the short and the long term that requires expert psychological interventions.
Other tasks that may be required:
- Develop and implement a stress management plan applicable to all UN Agencies in the country.
- Provide individual, group and critical incident counselling sessions to staff and dependents as/when needed.
- Plan and facilitate preventative stress management training on a variety of stress-related issues to UN staff in the country and circulate useful reading resources related to stress periodically.
- To supervise, support, and coordinate activities of Nationally Recruited Country Based Stress Counsellor (NOB) based in Maiduguri.
- To assist in establishing the Critical Incident Stress Intervention Cells (CISICs) including selecting Peer Helpers and family focal points, facilitate peer helper training sessions (jointly with UNDSS CISMU) and coordinate and follow up on all relevant activities related to peer helpers.
- During the period of staff teleworking from home, deliver group stress counselling sessions to small target groups using teleworking facilities/methods regarding COVID-19 and any other related topic (e.g. stress management, peer support, resilience).
- Be able to visit and travel regularly to UN Offices/Sub Offices in the country in order to implement preventative stress management training activities and offer technical consultations when needed.
- Liaise with local experts and institutions in the country for referral purposes. Collaborate with UN managers, medical doctors, and local physicians on psychosocial wellbeing issues with the objective of establishing a network of professionals ready to support and intervene in case of need.
- Advise UN management on stress mitigating strategies and activities
- Perform ongoing assessments and monitor the determinants of stress in UN staff to include activities such as data collection, analyses and related documentation.
- Provide monthly reports to the Chief Security Adviser with copies to UN Headquarters UNDSS CISMU Regional Stress Counsellor on all psychosocial support services.
- Deliver group face to face sessions where possible as will be arranged by the office, to ensure that staff regularly receive relevant information, and are aware of sources where to find information or assistance.
- Provide guidance/support to activate buddy systems, coaching, intervention and staff support groups
- Provide grief counselling for families, friends and colleagues of deceased staff members.
- Identify, address and follow up on critical incident stress cases among UN staff and dependents in the country.
- The global objective is to provide culturally sensitive counselling services for UN staff in Nigeria, actively participating in emergency response with key stakeholders in the country.
The Stress Counsellors will:
- Perform psychosocial needs assessment among UN staff and monitor the evolving determinants of stress
- Regularly brief UN staff and managers on the psychosocial aspects of tCOVID-19.
- Advise UN management on short- and long-term stress mitigating strategies and measures.
- Apprise the DO/RC, the Chief Security Adviser and UNDSS CISMU Regional Stress Counsellor on psychosocial services provided.
- The stress counsellors will manage all psychosocial support services for UN personnel in the country, in collaboration with the UN physician based in Abuja, under the administrative guidance /supervision of the UNDSS Chief Security Advisor (CSA) for Nigeria and the technical supervision of the UNDSS CISMU Regional Stress Counsellor, New York.
- Provide systematic stress counselling services to UN personnel and families during and after the pandemic to prevent stress-related diseases including depression and PTSD
- Provide psychoeducation and training to UN personnel and families in managing isolation, telecommuting stress and distressed family members
Required Skills and Experience
- MD (Doctor in Medicine) with specialization in Psychiatry
- Master’s Degree in Psychology (Clinical Psychology or Counselling Psychology (Master’s Degree should have been obtained after a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Counselling or Social Work)
- Additional training or experience in a broad range of related fields such as alcohol/substance abuse, stress management, critical incident stress and cross-cultural counselling and communication would be an asset
- Certification (country-specific or international licensure or equivalent) authorizing the incumbent to deliver mental health services as a Psychologist, Clinical Psychologist, Counselling Psychologist or Psychiatrist is required
- Knowledge about the region and its cultural practices related to mental health and well-being is desirable
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in clinical psychology, counselling psychology, psychoeducation or psychiatry, with at least two (2) years of experience managing mental health programs at international level.
- Qualifying years of experience are calculated after the receipt of an accredited advanced level degree recognised by the United Nations.
- Experience in crisis management or emergency response is required.
- Experience in providing stress counselling within the United Nations system or any other International Organization is desirable
- English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations.
- For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Fluency in any other local language is highly desirable.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work .
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ensures teams are resourced for success and empowered to deliver
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Creates atmosphere of trust to build acceptance and seek diverse views, cultures and individual needs across the organization
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Reliably and consistently listens and interprets information and instruction correctly
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
Technical / Functional Detailed:
- Replicate Reliably: Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop
- Professionalism: Execute & Learn: Performs defined tasks efficiently and deepens knowledge of area of work
- Respect for Diversity: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Commitment to continuous learning: Navigate & Guide: Charts a course for a systems approach to continuous learning, adaptation, and excellence, creating institutional imperatives to realize progress within across the relevant profession
- Communication: Integrate & Empower: Leads integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in professional area of expertise
- Technological Awareness: Role Model & Resolve: Creates an environment to facilitate full institutional potential and governs UNDP’s strategic and political investments in line with organizational values and principles.
- Creativity: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Innovation: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
- Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
- UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Application Deadline 22nd October, 2020.